What your podiatrists at Foot & Ankle Specialists of Connecticut want you to know
Do you suffer from dry, cracked feet? Are your heels filled with deep fissures that never seem to get better? Dry cracked feet can be caused by many different factors, but the good news is, there are a lot of effective treatments for your feet. Your podiatrists at Foot & Ankle Specialists of Connecticut with offices in Plainville, Danbury and New Milford, Connecticut, to help you and your feet.
Dry, cracked, itchy feet can be caused by some lifestyle issues such as:
- Cold weather
- Using certain kinds of soap
- Carrying excess weight
- Standing in poorly-fitting shoes
- Running water over your feet for long periods
They can also be caused by a number of medical conditions and diseases including:
- Eczema or psoriasis
- Thyroid or kidney disease
One of the main causes of cracked skin and heels is normal aging. As you age, your skin loses its ability to retain moisture, resulting in cracks and fissures appearing in your skin. Your skin will also lose elasticity and its ability to move easily.
Your podiatrists in Plainville, Danbury and New Milford, Connecticut, want you to know there are some things you can do at home to relieve and repair dry, cracked feet.
- Soaking your feet in warm water for 20 minutes each day
- Scrub your feet gently with a pumice stone or other exfoliating devices to remove the softened, dead skin from your feet.
- Rinse your feet thoroughly and dry them with a soft towel.
- Apply moisturizing cream or lotion to your feet and cover them with a pair of socks.
- Try this routine each day and before you know it, you will have smooth, moisturized, crack-free feet!
For stubborn, dry, cracked feet that don’t respond to home therapy, it may be time to see your podiatrist. For more information about how to care for dry, cracked feet, call your podiatrists at the Plainville, Danbury, or New Milford offices of Foot & Ankle Specialists of Connecticut. Call today and look forward to smooth feet!