That large, bony bump by the side of your big toe is probably a bunion. So, should you seek treatment? If you want to eliminate the bunion, seeking treatment from a professional is your best option. Your podiatrist can help. The podiatrists at Foot & Ankle Specialists of Connecticut offer effective treatment for bunions. They have several convenient office locations in Plainville, Danbury, and New Milford, Connecticut to help you and your feet feel better.
Bunions can keep you off of your feet and make it difficult to put on shoes or find shoes that are comfortable. Small bunions that aren’t too painful can be relieved using a few simple tricks you can do at home. You can try:
- Wearing inserts or padding to cushion the bunion
- Cushioning or taping the bunion for added support
- Taking over-the-counter pain and anti-inflammatory medication
- Changing to wider, more supportive shoes with more toe room
If your bunion is large, painful, and makes it difficult to wear shoes, you need to seek treatment from your podiatrist. At Foot & Ankle Specialists of Connecticut, the podiatrists offer several effective treatments to get relief from bunions. They may recommend:
- Custom-fit orthotics and footwear
- Corticosteroid injections around the bunion
- Prescription-strength anti-inflammatory medications
There are several effective ways to eliminate bunions surgically. Your podiatrist may recommend fusing your big toe joints, surgically straightening your big toe, and removing soft tissue or bone. Surgical treatment may be necessary if your bunion causes:
- Severe foot pain that affects walking or wearing shoes
- Chronic inflammation and swelling of your big toe
- Bone deformity and stiffness in your big toe
Don’t suffer from bunion pain when help is just a phone call away. If you are dealing with bunions, seek out treatment from the experts and get rid of your bunions for good. For more information about bunion treatment, call the podiatrists at Foot & Ankle Specialists of Connecticut, with offices in Plainville, Danbury, and New Milford, Connecticut. Call today!