A broken bone requires immediate medical attention. Act fast!
If you have broken a bone in your foot, you don’t want to fool around with such a painful condition. Get the care you deserve from Plainville podiatrists Dr. Joseph Treadwell and Dr. Christian Davis. Find out the common causes of foot fractures and what treatments will help you recovery as fast as possible.
What can cause a fractured foot?
While feet take on an amazing amount of force, there are certain incidents where a foot may become fractured:
- Direct impact
- A fall
- Car accident
- Excessive stress on the foot
How is a fractured foot diagnosed?
Telling us your symptoms and when they first appeared will help us determine whether your foot might have a fracture, but the only way to truly detect it is through X-rays like a CT or bone scan.
What are my treatment options?
Some of the most common treatment options are more conservative in nature. If these treatments don’t offer you relief, we will need to go with more aggressive ones to alleviate your symptoms.
Initial treatments include:
- Resting the foot and avoiding physical activity (until you get your Plainville, CT foot doctor’s approval, of course!)
- Elevating the foot above your heart to keep swelling down
- Applying compression dressings to the foot to also reduce swelling
- Icing the foot up to 20 minutes at a time, two to three times a day to alleviate pain
- Taking over-the-counter or prescribed pain relievers to temporarily relieve discomfort
- Some patients may be required to use crutches to move around
- If the fracture is serious enough, surgery may be the only option
Foot & Ankle Specialists of Connecticut, P.C. is here to tackle all foot issues in the Plainville, CT and surrounding areas. Don’t ignore foot pain and other problems. Give your feet the tender, loving care they require.